Shop at Margherita Conad, Da Tonino and Save Cash

>Cerca nel Sito  >>Cerca con Arianna 

> Msn

 TWP®

Le festivita`

Paestum | Ascea | Pisciotta | Palinuro | Camerota

 

 

 

 
   
Il Natale
Canzoni di Natale
 

Il Presepe
Il Presepe Napoletano

L'Albero
Babbo Natale

Capodanno
La stella di Natale

La Befana

Festa della Befana ad  Urbania
Le calze della Befana
Le Filastrocche


I Dolci
RicetteTradizionali


Nuttata 'e Natale
Pastorale
(Quanno nascette
Ninno a Bettalemme)

Natale
(Presepio in costruzione)

  History
Versione Italiana

Old Documents

   
     
  A crafty man as a Saracen, with the figure of a Norman prince, the joy of the art of an ancient Greek, gentleman of life as a Spaniard, and correct and strong as a Roman. It all adds up to: "the true Pisciottano".
Paraphrasing a known motto, we perhaps succeed in delineating the historical "figure" of the pisciottano.  The historical data that follows will confirm it. The first hypotheses on the origins and history of Pisciotta, are connected to the destruction of Troy (650 A.C.).

In 650 A.C. the Trojans, escaped from the fire and the destruction of their city, landed on the ionic beach, where they founded Sires. The inhabitants of the city later advanced toward the West, following the vast valley of the Sinni river, up to the lake and to the Sirino mountain (from which they took the name), near the today's Lagonegro, where they founded the city of Siruci (today Seluce, fraction of Lauria).

From here they went to the Tyrrhenian Sea, on the beach of the today’s Gulf of Policastro. Here they founded the colony of Pixous. Proof of this, is a rare series of ancient coins, in archaic characters, with the names coined of Sirinos and Pixoes, referring respectively, to the populations of the two cities of Sires and Pixous. Why the name Pixous? The name "Pixous", from the root "PYX",  derives from the boxwood (buxus semprevivens), bush always green of the buxacees (symbol of youth and strength, courage, perennial thought and work; the boxwood adorns the coat of arms of Pisciotta city hall). A curiosity: the hedges of the Quirinale gardens in Rome are made of boxwood. The names of Pixous, Pixo, Pixunte, Buxentum and Bissento, derive from the Greek and Latin etymology.

In the year 194 A.C. the Greek pixous became the Roman Buxentum and in 915, when this center is plundered and burnt by the Saracens of Agropoli, has already changed the Latin name in actual Policastro. It is the year 915 to mark the birth of Pisciotta. The inhabitants of Bussento, after the Saracens of Agropoli attacked, ransacked and burned to the ground their village, tried to escape in the mountains and on the surrounding high ground.

Many went beyond the promontory of Palinuro, where they founded a small village that they called Pixoctum, in memory of their lost country that means small Pixous. From Pixoctum over the years the name changed to Pixocta, Pissocta and finally Pisciotta. Nothing we know about the first years of life of the new suburb and only in the XII century, under William II, we find for the first time the toponimo Pissocta, owned as a feud by Niello, one of their citizens.

We find the name of Pisciotta in one of the oldest documents, the “Catalogus Baronum” written in the year 1144. The year 1464 marks for the country a very important development, when the survivors of Molpa, following the destruction of their village, were sheltered in Pisciotta. Up to August 2nd 1806, when Joseph Napoleone king of Naples decreed the end of the “feudalità”, the history of Pisciotta is an endless enumeration of feudal passages from a "Owner" to the other.

The Caracciolos (1270), the Sanseverinos (in 400), the Pappacodas (1590), they are some of the families (among the most powerful of the kingdom) to have owned it. One of the many ownership passages: Pisciotta purchased in 1554 by Mr. Sancho Martinez de Leyna, general of the regal navy, for 17.000 dukedoms, was resold in 1578 to Mr. Camillo Pignatelli for 30.000 dukedoms. To be mentioned two priests who became bishops: Luigi Pappacoda of Pisciotta, named Bishop of Capaccio in 1635 (that among all things, decided to remain in Pisciotta instead of moving to Capaccio and to build the beautiful church of St. Peter, the Cathedral) and Giovanbattista de Bellis of Rodio, Bishop of Telese.

In the year 1708, with 2163 inhabitants, it is among the most populated and important village south of Salerno. In the year 1806 the French and Borboni went to war and started a time of instability. The war between French and Spaniards, the revolutions of the Cilento and the epic Garibaldina (in which, for independence and liberty, took part the best men of Pisciotta) are the great events of the History of Pisciotta. The Cenotaph of Palinuro, the Castle, the sighting towers, the Church of St. Peter, the Palaces, are some testimonies of the past that survived up to our time.


If you have additional data, about the history of Pisciotta, 
please contact us at : 
webmaster@pisciotta.net

 
 

 

ENGLISH VERSION
.

Condizioni per l'utilizzo,  Copyright Policy  ed Informativa sulla privacy
©1999 - Pisciotta Net * Tutti i diritti riservati.
Names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.


Created by © TaylaNet  & Frank Veneroso
Per eventuali problemi scrivete a 
WebMaster@pisciotta.net